Thursday, May 21, 2009

An end of the year check-up – looking back, looking forward

As originally posted on Nuturing Faith blog (May 19, 2009)
Click here to view the original post.

For most of us it’s time to put things back in the cupboards and close the book on this school year. As a school leader, it is good to reflect back on the school year, and worthwhile to ask yourself some reflective questions:
  1. Did I move my school closer to meeting our mission this year? What evidence do I have? How do I know?
  2. How did I as a leader improve the school this year? Did my words and actions encourage faith and motivation to learn in my staff and students?
  3. Did I settle for only visible improvements of bricks and bucks or did I also improve the less visible aspects such as the quality of instruction, the distinctiveness of the curriculum, the quality of instruction, and the bondedness of the staff and parent community?
  4. Was my focus on how successful my school was or how much students and staff understood how to be bringers of shalom?
  5. What must I commit to in the next school year?

Recently McKinsey & Company put out an interesting report “How the World’s Best-Performing School Systems Come Out on Top.” In the report they make this summative statement: “The available evidence suggests that the main driver of the variation in student learning at school is the quality of the teachers.” They go on to say that high-performing schools consistently do three things well:

  • Hire the right teachers – “The quality of an education system cannot exceed the quality of its teachers.”
  • Develop teachers into effective instructors.
  • Put in place systems and targeted support to make sure that each child benefits from excellent instruction.

According to their synthesis of research, each principal’s time in effective schools is focused on instructional leadership. In our schools spiritual leadership is even more important. What implications does this have as you make plans to foster spiritual and instructional leadership growth in your school next year?

No comments:

Post a Comment